ecipe courtesy of www.thestockmerchant.com.au
A soup or stew of meat and vegetables, goulash is a deeply satisfying comfort food and almost all families in Hungary have their own special or inherited recipe. Our goulash has a few twists to it. First, we prefer to use olive oil instead of lard to sweat the onions and cook the beef. Second, we add a dash of smoked sweet paprika which gives the dish a little something special, perfect for those cold Hungarian (or Australian!) winter nights.
Serves: 2-3 peopleRequirements: A large pot, preferably with a heavy base
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes or 2.5-3 hours
INGREDIENTS5 tablespoons extra virgin Australian olive oil
2 onions, diced
3 or 4 carrots, peeled, quartered, cut into 2 centimetre sections
1 medium red capsicum, cut into chunks
1 medium green capsicum, cut into chunks
500g free range grass fed beef (use chuck or blade). Trim the fat, and cut into 4-5 centimetre cubes.
2 tablespoons flour
500ml The Stock Merchant Free Range Beef Stock
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can of diced tomatoes
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
Generous seasoning of salt
Dash of freshly ground black pepper
METHOD1. Finely dice onion and fry gently in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until soft.
2. Add carrots and capsicums. Stir until mixed and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the vegetables with a spoon and set aside.
4. Brown cubed meat in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Sprinkle flour over beef, stir until flour is cooked.
6. Remove from heat, add stock and stir.
7. Return over heat and add potatoes, tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper.
8. Combine and turn down the heat to its lowest level and let it simmer for 30 minutes. For really tender beef, braise for 2-2.5 hours.
9. If you want your vegetables well done, throw them in now. If you’d prefer them to still be crisp and fresh, add them during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
10. Plate the dish, serve with crusty bread and Pepe Saya butter.
www.facebook.com/thestockmerchant or www.twitter.com/stockmerchant